Rue de Flandres, 59240 Dunkirk, two-screen video installation, 2016.
On the Feast of The Visitation, 1662, Lady Abbess Knatchbull purchased a house on the Rue de Flandre, establishing the first home for English Benedictine Nuns in Dunkirk. At the time Dunkirk was owned by Britain and the purchase was made with the agreement of King Charles the second. “[the house] was situated outside the gates of the town, within the outer ring by which Dunkirk was then surrounded, facing the shore front. The price demanded was 13,236 livers (£10,000 in old money)… a sum that would have appeared excessive, had it not been for a tract of sandy dunes which was included in the purchase.” *Six months later the English King Charles II, suffering from financial instability, sold Dunkirk back to the French.
* from ‘A History of the Benedictine Nuns of Dunkirk’ (1957) Courtesy of The LFTT Library. www.
Born in 1975 in Cork, Horgan studied at IADT and UCD, Dublin where she obtained a BA in Fine Art and MA in Philosophy earning distinctions for both awards. Her work has been shown in Ireland and abroad including Pallas Studios and Rua Red, Dublin; Ormston House and Occupy Space, Limerick; The Dock, Leitrim; Highlanes Gallery, Drogheda; Artists Unlimited, Bielefeld, Germany and the Tate Modern, London. Recent and current projects include a 4,000 km road trip across Europe with a mobile Library – ’The LFTT Library Translation Tour’ (supported by Culture Ireland) and a film project with the Boole Library, UCC and The Castle Leslie Estate, Monaghan (funded by Cork City Council). She is currently conducting practice based doctoral research on the philosophy of Wittgenstein and its application to experimental documentary film practice at The University of Hertfordshire, UK.